Skip to main content
The latest edition (NL106) of the Liberty Basic Newsletter has just been published. Two articles really peaked my interest:
  1. Using SQLite Database Manager in LB by Colin McMurchie. Unbelievably simple API access to the SQLite database. This embeddable database is in the public domain, and after a first look it seems to be a good fit for the Liberty Basic programming world.

  2. What I Did With The !Locate Command On My Summer Vacation by Tom Nally. Tom creates a Hypercard-like stack using Liberty Basic's !Locate command. Basically, controls are located off-window and moved into place when needed. Doing this type of GUI work by hand is tedious, but a "stack creation" tool could automate most of the drudgery. I wonder if this idea could be used for FreeForm. Building a GUI with real controls is better than FreeForm's graphically drawn controls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BASIC turns 50

Well, the BASIC language actually turned 50 on May 1, 2014, and I'm very late to the party. Born at Dartmouth in 1964 (along with the first commercial time sharing), here is the university's tribute page . There is even a great 38 minute documentary that they made for the occasion. 10 PRINT "ENJOY" 20 GOTO 10

Tiny Basic tinkering

One of the examples on the Run Basic website is a port of Tiny Basic . It's fun to play with and is very much like the interactive, command line Basics found on early personal computers. In fact, I think Tiny Basic was the dialect used on the TRS-80 Model 1. I'm currently working on modifying Tiny Basic to run the Sieve benchmark. Tiny Basic needs two things: profiling and array support . I've already added profiling support for the RUN command. Tiny Basic now displays the running time of a program in milliseconds. The last step is to add array support. Tiny Basic only supports the numeric variables 'a' to 'z'. I'm adding a single array to the environment in order to port the Sieve program. The array will be called a(). I will post the modified Tiny Basic code to the Run Basic Programming Wiki when finished. The whole point of this exercise, however, is to see how fast the Tiny Basic interpreter runs the Sieve benchmark and compare it to the others i...

Hammurabi (on Run Basic)

To celebrate 50+ years of BASIC, I've published an early version of the classic simulation, Hammurabi, on the Run Basic Hosting site. It ran "almost" unchanged -- line numbers, GOTOs and all. I'll publish the tweaked Run Basic code later, but here is the link to the game if you want to try it out right away. If you're interested in the original source, here is a nice article on the game at the Atari Archives. Have fun!